Aluminum Wiring Services in Marrero, Kenner, Metairie, LA and the Surrounding Areas
If your New Orleans home was constructed between 1960 and 1970, there’s a fair chance of you electrical system running on Aluminum wiring. During this period in time copper became expensive, and aluminum was an economical alternative. Aluminum is not as good a conductor of electricity as copper. Manufacturers of aluminum wiring got around it with larger size wiring for the same job. The installation procedures though remain the same for both copper and aluminum. Contact us for aluminum wiring services in Marrero, Kenner, Metairie, LA and the Surrounding Areas.
New Orleans Aluminum Wiring
Aluminum wiring isn’t as bad as they are made out to be. Although there are some limitations that you as a homeowner must be aware of, and reach out to New Orleans aluminum wiring services for any issues:
- Creeping: Electricity flowing through aluminum wires makes it hot, causing it to expand. When this happens repeatedly it leads to change in shape of the wires. Overheating and loose connections can result, as the wires tend to creep out from under the terminal screws.
- Softness: It is prone to nicks, being a softer metal than copper. Electricians trained with copper wires need to be gentler to avoid damage. Aluminum wire nicks can create overheating due to local hot spots.
- Rusting: Metals have a tendency to oxidize. Rusting in aluminum causes a white layer, which increases the wire’s resistance causing overheating at the outlets.
Trained Electricians for Aluminum Wiring
Many symptoms are similar in copper and aluminum wiring. If you know your home has aluminum wiring, the occurrence of the following issues is a crystal clear warning that you need professional help.
- Warm outlets and switch cover plates.
- Smoking or sparks flying from switches.
- Incandescent lights dimming or brightening with starting of a motor.
- Strange odors near electrical outlets.
- Flickering of lights.
- Aluminum wiring can become hot enough to start a fire. The biggest concern being the fire could start without tripping a circuit breaker.
The surest way to have peace-of-mind is to have it inspected, in case of any of the above issues. Our trained techs run a thorough check of the fuse box, and also make sure there are no signs of wear on the splices.
Aluminum Wiring Repair Services
Among the many choices available to have aluminum wiring repaired a few are outlined here:
Rewiring Your House
If you’re planning to remodel your house, you should consider upgrading the wiring. It will all depend on the construction of the house and crawl spaces. As the wiring is a couple of decades old, the service entrance should also be upgraded to today’s standards.
This method involves attaching a copper wire to the existing aluminum wire branch circuit with a custom metal sleeve and powered crimping tool. The metal sleeve is called a COPALUM parallel splice connector. An insulating sleeve is placed around the crimp connector.
A trained electrician can guarantee you peace of mind and higher returns on investment, by answering specific queries you have about aluminum wiring and suggesting the best remedial actions.